EQ audio plugin

Subject: EQ audio plugin
From: "justinasia" justinasia
Date: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:17 am ((PDT))
I'm trying to remove unwanted noise from a recording, perhaps a distant riv=
er or city or something.

I'm using Wave Editor on a mac, and I am trying to control the behavior of =
a highpass filter. Under "audio units" I have Apple, AUHipass, but it's beh=
aviour seems strange. For example, I set the cutoff frequency to 82Hz, and =
the "resonance" to -16dB. I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to do, b=
ut what it does is lower the volume on frequencies even as high as 200Hz, v=
ery noticeably (I can see on the spectograph), perhaps even up to 400Hz by =
the look of things. Also all the way down to the bottom (far left) of the s=
pectograph, there is still sound. So it didn't seem to cut anything off, me=
rely make it quieter.

Is there a way to actually cut off the lower frequencies? Or turn them down=
 without effecting the higher frequencies? I would like to be able to contr=
ol it. I have searched the internet and I did find one other plugin called =
"MU xEQ", which at least has a picture so you can see the shape of how it i=
s to change the frequencies, although it really doesn't seem to be easily c=
ontrollable either (for example the slope cannot be set very steep, so it s=
till ends up interfering with a very wide range of frequencies.

What I imagine would be useful is something which actually lets me cutoff f=
requencies below a certain level, and also lets me choose the steepness of =
the curve of how sudden the cutoff is. Or even just shape the whole frequen=
cy curve as I choose.

Is there a plugin anyone can recommend? Hopefully free, but if there is one=
 which is not too expensive but obviously better for this purpose, I would =
be glad to hear about it.

Thanks
Justin