Re: headphone RFI

Subject: Re: headphone RFI
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Thu Jun 4, 2009 3:57 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "Jaap de Jong" <> wrote:

> I recently obtained the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Closed back (and
> circumaural), foldable, 1/8 plug and excellent audio-quality.

I am also a fan of the AudioTechnica M50s, and can recommend them without
hesitation. Comfortable, rugged, smallish pack, clean sound, good isolation,
and 38 ohms impedance (making them very easy to drive with battery powered
equipment).

As Jaap pointed out, there are two version. One has a cord that is coiled at
the lower half and straight at the upper half, the other is straight all the
way (I believe that is the M50S). I have the coiled version and it suits my
purposes well - partly because the straight part is long enough that I can
often tuck the coiled part into the bag my rig fits in (or into the pocket of
my fleece jacket) and keep it that way so it is not dangling around.

The cord terminates with a 1/8 inch stereo jack, and they're supplied with a
1/4 inch adaptor that screws on (making it harder to lose).

As I often tell people, buying headphones is like buying prescription lenses
without the help of an optometrist: you have to keep trying different pairs
until you find the pair that work for you. With that in mind, definitely try
before you buy to ensure a good 'fit'.

If you have a pair that have served you well, consider getting them repaired
first of all...

- Greg Simmons