headphone RFI

Subject: headphone RFI
From: "Nathan Pieplow" npieplow
Date: Wed Jun 3, 2009 11:52 am ((PDT))
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones, and I'm frustrated
with my search.  I need something to use in the field with my Fostex
FR2-LE and my Telinga stereo parabola.  The headphones must have a
closed back and a 1/8 inch stereo plug; also, importantly, they must
have a straight cord (preferably short).  I can't deal with a coiled
cord when I'm hiking through, e.g., thornscrub.  Usefulness in the
field is actually far more important to me than sound quality.

Ironically, my favorite headphones were a pair that I bought off the
wall at a Radio Shack for $30.  I expected them to last about a
month, but instead they made it a good year and a half before
succumbing to the rigors of wear.  They replaced a pair of Sony
MDR-7506s that actually lasted far less time (and were the source of
my continuing angst about coiled cords).  But the headphones I liked
are no longer manufactured, and Radio Shack and Best Buy have let me
down recently; I bought and returned a pair from each store since
their cords and connectors weren't even up to any jiggling at all,
let alone chasing down a bird on a wooded slope.  On the other hand,
I'm loath to buy online without some recommendations since feel and
fit are so important.  The higher-end pro audio stores in my area
don't seem to have what I'm looking for either; I'm willing to pay
$150 if I'm reasonably assured the product will last years in the
field, but most headphones aren't made for that.

I suppose if someone can graft a straight cord onto my Sonys (or fix
my cheapo Radio Shacks), that would be a good option too.

Any recommendations?

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder, Colorado
www.earbirding.com/blog