Re: Recordists Campout 2009 - some results

Subject: Re: Recordists Campout 2009 - some results
From: ". m u r m e r ."
Date: Wed Jun 3, 2009 2:54 am ((PDT))
David Michael wrote:
> I personally would feel fine with you broadcasting recordings I have made=
 and posted. I realize that performance rights are slightly different, and =
there is not really any model I am aware of for open source performing righ=
ts like there is for licensing of the work itself. Creative Commons licensi=
ng of material usually deals only with the distribution and modification of=
 copyrighted content, not its broadcast specifically (though I think this m=
ight technically be distribution). Can you point me in the direction of mor=
e information regarding performing rights for work not registered with ASCA=
P/BMI/SESAC? Is it worth somehow automatically registering posted audio wit=
h these agencies?

hi david,

your work is technically automatically copyrighted; you don't need to
register it anywhere (although the difficultly in a case of conflict
would be *proving* your copyright).  the reason for registering a work
with a performing rights society is generally the expectation of
revenue, rather than simply ownership protection.  i can almost
guarantee you that you won't see any royalties revenue from broadcast on
resonancefm, or other volunteer-based independent radio stations.  the
bprs (british performing rights society) is notoriously bad at paying
anybody with exposure any smaller than madonna's any broadcast rights at
all.

if, as you say, your concern is accreditation rather than revenue, i
suggest exploring creative commons licensing:

http://www.creativecommons.org

creative commons (copyleft) is the only kind of licensing i ever put
expressly on anything...

best,
patrick

--