Zoom H4n just arrived

Subject: Zoom H4n just arrived
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:25 pm ((PDT))
I received a Zoom H4n yesterday, and have formed a few impressions.

First, the H4n is a big improvement over the H4.  It's got solid constructi=
on and much improved ergonomics.  The recorder is large and heavy (340 g), =
but it's possible to hold it and operate the controls with one hand.

The H4n showed two flaws in my initial tests.  First is battery life when r=
unning phantom power to mics.  I got 95 minutes of battery life in one test=
 recording stereo at 24/96, and 107 minutes recording at 16/44.1.  That's u=
sing garden-variety AA cells, purchased at a local store.  You'd probably d=
o a bit better using expensive rechargeable AAs.

In contrast, the Marantz PMD661 lasted 3 hours using the same alkaline AA c=
ells.  The PMD661 uses four cells, while the H4n uses two.

The second shortcoming is preamp performance.  The H4n self-noise is genera=
lly under good control, showing itself when the record gain is pushed to ne=
ar maximum.  I'd say the H4n is in the same class as recorders like the Tas=
cam DR-1 and Marantz PMD60

The 1/8-inch input, on the back of the recorder close to the built-in mics,=
 seems just a little bit quieter than the XLR inputs.  I'll perform more te=
sts to confirm.

The H4n offers unparalleled value.  For about $350, the H4n offers desirabl=
e features like XLR inputs, phantom power, decent built-in mics, mid/side d=
ecoding, a pre-roll buffer and four channel recording.

The H4n would not my first choice when recording in a very quiet setting, b=
ut it would be a worthy companion when matched with a mic with a similar se=
lf-noise, and when recording a louder source.

More comments to come.
--oryoki

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: