Re: XLR cables in Japan, and DAC

Subject: Re: XLR cables in Japan, and DAC
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Thu Mar 5, 2009 11:22 pm ((PST))
--- In  Lou Judson <> wrote:

> Actually the optical output should always be on - as an output there
> is nothing for it to detect.

On my MacBook (one of the new generation unibody machines), if I monitor the
Output tab of the Sound control panel *without* the optical cable plugged into
the output, it says:

Name: Internal Speakers   Type: Built-in Output

But when I plug in the mini Toslink optical adaptor, it automatically switches
to say:

Name: Digital Out   Type: Built-in Output

At the same time, it disables the volume control, leaving it at maximum signal
level (i.e. where it ought to be so that 0dB FS is 0dB FS!).

Looks as though they've made the newer machines smarter... Certainly, if one
looks into the mini jack output socket with nothing plugged into it, there is
no light emission. Perhaps this is all part of making the machine more
environmentally friendly and power conscious?

> Powerbooks have had them for years!

Isn't that cool!

You know, I used to be one of the world's best (or should that be worst?) Mac
Evangelists. But about 10 years ago I moved completely to Windows when I bought
a SADiE mastering system and found that having two machines was driving me
crazy.

As someone who does not record directly to a laptop but instead transfers audio
files into it via USB (as I assume many nature recordists do), the inclusion of
an optical digital output on my laptop saves me from needing a sound card or
audio interface, of which I'd only ever use less than half of anyway (the
monitoring output) - as long as I've got something with an optical digital
input to plug into, that is.

Going OT here, but... The cost savings of a PC laptop over a Mac could be
balanced up against the PC's need for an external audio interface of some kind.
That's a point worth considering for those in the market for a new laptop...

- Greg Simmons