Re: XLR cables in Japan, and DAC

Subject: Re: XLR cables in Japan, and DAC
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Thu Mar 5, 2009 4:01 am ((PST))
--- In  "justinasia" <> wrote:

> I was thinking to use either my optical output (more messy) or take an output
> from my USB hub (more neatly tucked away) to a DAC. Any advice of whether or
> not the USB route would be sufficient, and also the cheapest acceptable DACs
> for this kind of task, would be much appreciated.

I got a MacBook about four weeks ago and have had great luck using the optical
output into a Grace M902 DAC/preamp. I imagine it would be possible to use it
to feed a lower cost DAC for monitoring. There's nothing to it - simply plug in
the cable, the Mac detects the optical connection and switches to optical
output. No drivers to mess about with, no control panels to open. Very elegant.
The funny thing is that most recent Mac laptop owners don't  know that they
have an optical output at their disposal - it's certainly not something Apple
make a lot of noise about.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'more messy'; it is simply a standard Toslink
cable with a mini Toslink adaptor on one end (to plug into the MacBook's
headphone socket). In the system I have been using, it's no different to
running a lead from the headphone socket. It also keeps the USB ports free for
other things - like an external hard drive, a mouse and/or similar. I have the
new 13 inch MacBook, which does not have a FireWire port, so I'm happy to keep
my USB ports free from an audio interface.

- Greg Simmons