Re: Phantom Power to PIP conversion!

Subject: Re: Phantom Power to PIP conversion!
From: "Danny Meltzer" dannymeltzer
Date: Wed Mar 4, 2009 8:03 pm ((PST))
Or does the Telinga Pro5 require PIP in addition to its onboard battery?

In that case THIS would be the cause of my signal dropout, NOT the cable so=
mehow blocking the signal when no phantom power is flowing.

Klas or someone else can you speak to this?...

With the Telinga Pro5 handle...if it is plugged into a stereo mini-jack...d=
oes it require Plug-In Power somehow to create a signal?  I realize of cour=
se that the microphone is powered by the battery onboard...but wonder if th=
e handle require PIP as well.

Thanks.

Danny

--- In  "Danny Meltzer" <>=
 wrote:

> Another drawback of this cable I seem to have found is that you can't hav=
e a passive signal pass through it.  If no phantom power is flowing to it, =
the cable won't transmit an incoming signal.  This would be annoying for us=
ing self powered mics.

> I was trying it with my Telinga [self powered] that has a stereo miniplug=
 output...and it only worked with the phantom power turned on, which seemed=
 to create some hiss.

> So yeah, I'll send it back and get a regular one....and stick with the li=
ttle SP preamp...that seems to handle WL183's really well and generally sou=
nds quite good when used to bring PIP mics into a recorder with XLR ins.

> It's a very good idea in principle...but not executed quite perfectly eno=
ugh for our purposes yet.

> I will echo Aaron that Sound Professionals gear is great [including my li=
ttle preamp that I love] and this cable is working fine...it does what it c=
laims to do, it's basically just not as nice sounding as using the little S=
P preamp in it's place.