Re: Shure WL183 modified for PIP

Subject: Re: Shure WL183 modified for PIP
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:45 pm ((PST))
Since there continues to be interest in WL-183"s for nature recording,
I thought I would remind there are other Shure options utilizing the
same R183B (black) or R183W (white) Omnidirectional Cartridge. A
couple of them look interesting

The WX-183 has been discussed many times on our forum, it is the same
as the WL-183 but includes the RK100PK In-Line Preamplifier which runs
off phantom power through a typical xlr connection. It is a lot
cheaper to by this combination than both the wl-183 and RK100PK as
separate units. It's noise specs are slightly better than the WL183
for some reason, and Dan Dugan has written about this in the past.

Another interesting option is MX391/O Boundary Mic.
>From the user guide it looks as though it might be possible to  remove
microphone interface from the boundary base (though I am not entirely
sure)if need be.  The boundary gain appears to knock an extra 6dB off
the noise specs, and might be practical for tree mounted stereo or
similar barrier systems.
Acourding to Shure, "Includes an attached 4 meter (12 ft) cable
terminated with a 4-pin mini connector and a separate preamplifier. A
rubber strain relief is provided for applications where you want to
remove the 4-pin mini connector and connect the microphone cable
directly to screw terminals in the preamplifier."

John Hartog