Re: Shure WL183 modified for PIP

Subject: Re: Shure WL183 modified for PIP
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:01 pm ((PST))
> I'm a lurker who has finally bought an (Oade-modified) PMD620 & is
> looking for a mic.
> I was thinking of the Shure WL183 due to all the accolades you guys/
> gals
> have given it, but would need it modified to utilize PIP (right?)

No mod needed, except changing the connector--or better yet, making an
adaptor and leaving the original connector, so you can use it with the
Shure barrel for phantom power. The 183 is a PIP mic!

183s will contribute noise in quiet environments, as their self-noise
level is around 22-23 dBA. Still good for beginners and/or many
utility applications. Urban sonography or busy soundscapes, for example.

-Dan Dugan