Re news post.

Subject: Re news post.
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:27 am ((PST))
Posted by: "Bernie Krause"

> Don't worry about it, Phil. Whomever is offended will most ceretainly
> get over it. Given this figure's enlightened position(s) on the
> protection of wildlife in her home state, one of the most pristine
> places to record on the planet, your posting was absolutely
> appropriate and to the point. I, for one, thank you for the reminder.
>
> Some of us on this list know first hand from work we've done in the
> ArcticNWR and other Alaskan sites, how her decisions can and will
> affect our nacent soundscape efforts if allowed to materialize. Her
> one time mentor, Ted Stevens, once held up a white poster board in
> the Senate to hammer home the point that there was nothing in the
> Refuge but fuel. You betcha.

The point is there are discussion groups for that, lots of them.  I
belong to several dozen groups that I actively read on different
subjects I'm interested in. I could easily make a case that nature
photography, bicycling and a number of others are "connected" to nature
recording and start posting all about that here.  In fact it's not hard
to make a case that everything is connected to everything.

The reason there are many discussion groups is to focus on different
subjects, not to become all in one groups.  The environmentalism subject
is certainly not core to nature recording.  It should be done in groups
where it is core, and very peripheral here.  Anyone interested in it can
join those groups if they are not already there.

BTW, I dislike her as well, intensly.  But there are some
environmentalists I dislike just as much as they are not helping. There
is nothing worse than cramming your religion down someone else's throats
whether they want it or not.  That's how you make opponents to your cause.

How many in this group are even noticing let alone protesting all the
destruction of wildlife habitat in their own neighborhood?  In spite of
the economy the bulldozers are still running here. It's very easy to
protest something way off somewhere, but much harder when it may hurt
your pocketbook directly. What are each of you doing in your local
politics, which is where most of this destruction is decided?

You want to make a difference with nature recording?  Get out and
record, so no one can wave a white board around because folks have heard
what's out there.  Or in my case, heard and seen as I do nature
photography too.