Re: Ultimate Wind Screen

Subject: Re: Ultimate Wind Screen
From: "robb_nichols" robb_nichols
Date: Sat Jan 3, 2009 12:33 pm ((PST))
Thanks, guys, for your input.  I do appreciate all comments.  But I'd
like to reiterate that I'm specifically interested in a windscreen
that can be effective and survive intense conditions.

I have built a microphone that is about as tough as practically
possible.  In short, the capsule is made from a 304 stainless steel
piezo bender disc that is crimped into a machined 304ss backing and
the active portion of the bender (the ceramic, electrode & bonding
wire) are conformal coated with a urethane rubber after assembly.
This capsule, along with line driver circuitry, is recessed into a mic
body that is also made entirely of 304ss and is designed so water
drips off of a waveguide and away from all the parts that matter.
This mic would of course sound pretty bad except that it is working
below its first resonance, so response is suitably flat for the
application.  It should be able to take whatever comes at it--rough
handling, a big gnarly green wave, ice storms, and so on.  The
application only requires a simple omni response below 1KHz.

I'm sorry, but I have to be discreet about the exact application
details out of respect for a partner.  And I know that my application
does not fit exactly within the typical boundaries of this discussion
group, but as mentioned, I'm confident that many of you have
experimented with windscreens and I know that there are concepts and
materials that you guys know about that I may not have considered.

Every product can be improved upon, and I'm quite sure that my mic is
no exception.  In fact, I've begun to thing about mic designs that
could take similar abuse and cover more of our auditory bandwidth more
elegantly.  But for this application, the mic is done.  Testing will
certainly be done on windscreen performance.

Thanks for the tips so far.  I am going to look into them and address
them in a separate post.

Regards, Robb