Re: estimating direction and distance of gibbon calls

Subject: Re: estimating direction and distance of gibbon calls
From: "werainey" werainey
Date: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:29 am ((PST))
There's a substantial literature on 'passive acoustic localization', mostly=
 as Bernie indicates
from the marine mammal literature. Quite a bit of it emerges from long term=
 placements of
passive monitoring buoys. Mellinger's freeware program 'Ishmael' has  code =
 modules for
analyzing source position from various configurations of hydrophones.

For birds, folks associated with Cornell labs (and others) have deployed mi=
crophone arrays to
monitor at smaller scales time and place of calls from territorial song bir=
ds. This also has
worked for 2 or 3d flying bat localization. There are a number of  'one-off=
' studies, but more
recently several groups  have been using  Raimund Specht's multi-microphone=
 systems and
signal capture/software software.

Some interesting wrinkles emerge in discussions of elephant calling in that=
 they are described
as relying on reflecting calls off low level atmospheric inversions to exte=
nd their
communication range.

Bill R.