Re: estimating direction and distance of gibbon calls

Subject: Re: estimating direction and distance of gibbon calls
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:15 am ((PST))
We were just experimenting, Marc. We used four MKH20s, three in a
horizontal plane equidistant at 3m, with one in a vertical plane
measured 3m from the others and at the top of the array. It looked
like a pyramid. The mics on the horizontal plane were elevated off the
ground at 1m. And we used a SD 744 (w/ 2 additional Mix-Pres). While,
potentially, it should have worked, the results were inconclusive
because we neglected to take into account all the permutations noted
below. It really gets complicated in terrestrial environments unless
they're virtually anechoic. (So the Grand Canyon, in side canyons with
high walls made of sandstone and where the measurable ambient SPL gets
down to something like 3dBA would be a likely place to test the
thesis. Problem there: Except for an occasional Canyon Wren, not much
critter noise)

However, I believe Chris Clark, at Cornell, has done this in a marine
environment with a hydrophone array while monitoring Bowhead Whales.
His questions were how many were in the pod? and where were they
located in relationship to one another? With the tetrahedral array, I
think he got some good data, if I recall correctly. I don't know if
he's published, but I think so.

Bernie