Re: Sound Editor Comparision (Link)

Subject: Re: Sound Editor Comparision (Link)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:53 am ((PST))
At 7:51 AM -0800 12/16/08, Kim Cascone wrote:
>  > I use AP pretty much like I used Peak for years. The main Peak
>>  feature I miss is the ability to quickly create cross-fades between
>>  regions. I especially like how friendly AP is with the .flac file
>>  format and creating a consolidated waveform view for long-duration
>>  recordings that extend over multiple files.
>how does the non-real time audition of plugins affect your work?

Select the file or region and select the effect/plug-in and click
Preview to hear the effects in real-time. Process the effect when you
are satisfied.

>I find it impossible to do any real mastering or EQ'ing with AP
>and the way it mangles the UI of Pluggo plugs is equally as annoying

And I don't think you can stack multiple plugs in preview mode like
you can with Peak, ProTools, Logic, etc. I've encountered trouble
getting Pluggo plugs to work with quite a few apps so that doesn't
surprise me. I've lost quite a few plug investments through
incompatibilities.

>I'd also prefer a more Audacity-like feature of being able to view
>each track in the main window in time or freq domain
>but for most editing it is a nice editor and is 90% of the way to
>being a professional tool
>some asshat on the AP forum insisted that I was expecting too much
>from an amateur tool -- I hastened to point out to him that the
>'amateur' tool had the world 'PRO' appended to its name for a reason

I only use AP as two track editor, not a multi-track editor. It has
some strengths in that capacity that other apps lack.  The
multi-track function seems added-- not really integrated with both AP
and Audacity to me.

>  >
>>  It doesn't look like Sonic Visualizer is compatible with AU plugs.
>>  Rob D.
>no it doesn't support AU (not a problem for me since I rarely use
>them -- as I use my GRM EQ VST quite a lot and is the main tool in my
>fix-it toolbox)

GRM EQ VST looks interesting, especially for mastering. "Contrast"
is an intriguing notion related to tonalities.  I'll see if there is
a demo somewhere.

I typically use many parametric bands with field recordings so Eqium
is well-suited for me. Its AU. I like that AU plugs work smoothly
with all of my video/DVD apps.

I'll certainly look at the open source options/LADSPA plugs when I
outgrow Logic and my prior plug investments (or open source software
makes more sense than costly upgrades). Plug performance has been big
part of my decision-making and Derek Holzer also speaks highly of
LADSPA options. Rob D.