Re: Sound Editor Comparision (Link)

Subject: Re: Sound Editor Comparision (Link)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:01 am ((PST))
At 1:20 PM -0800 12/14/08, Kim Cascone wrote:
>  Amadeus Pro which has some problems
>e.g. not being able to audition files via VST/AU plugs in real-time
>is a big show stopper for me

Thanks for the link to the list Suzanne! Kim-- You mean not being
able to assess multiple, (2+) tracks in play mode with (unprocessed)
plug-ins?  The current version of Amadeus Pro ($40 USD) has
real-time, previewing for analyzing AU plug-in changes for a single
stereo recording.  Not sure if that third party VST->AU adapter app
is compatible with AP.

>but with enough input from users I feel AP could be a serious
>contender for Peak and with some tucks and pulls could very well
>replace Peak in the
>near future

I use AP pretty much like I used Peak for years. The main Peak
feature I miss is the ability to quickly create cross-fades between
regions. I especially like how friendly AP is with the .flac file
format and creating a consolidated waveform view for long-duration
recordings that extend over multiple files.

>I won't even comment on Wave Editor (I think it is the worst example
>of an audio editor out there) although that app wasn't mentioned in
>the article either
>
>I also wanted to mention that Sonic Visualizer has a new version out
><http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/>http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/
>caveat: be careful installing or upgrading if you are still on OS X
>10.4.x
>I don't know about how polite an install behaves on OS X 10.5.x
>
>but on 10.4.x I had to fix privs and repair some disc issues after
>upgrading
>but I'm not 100% certain this was caused by SV
>just be aware (or beware) that it is 'academyware' so it's prone to
>being a bit buggy

It doesn't look like Sonic Visualizer is compatible with AU plugs. Rob D.