Re: Sound Editor Comparision (Link)

Subject: Re: Sound Editor Comparision (Link)
From: "Kim Cascone" anechoicmedia
Date: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:52 am ((PST))
> I use AP pretty much like I used Peak for years. The main Peak
> feature I miss is the ability to quickly create cross-fades between
> regions. I especially like how friendly AP is with the .flac file
> format and creating a consolidated waveform view for long-duration
> recordings that extend over multiple files.
how does the non-real time audition of plugins affect your work?
I find it impossible to do any real mastering or EQ'ing with AP
and the way it mangles the UI of Pluggo plugs is equally as annoying

I'd also prefer a more Audacity-like feature of being able to view
each track in the main window in time or freq domain
but for most editing it is a nice editor and is 90% of the way to
being a professional tool
some asshat on the AP forum insisted that I was expecting too much
from an amateur tool -- I hastened to point out to him that the
'amateur' tool had the world 'PRO' appended to its name for a reason

> It doesn't look like Sonic Visualizer is compatible with AU plugs.
> Rob D.
no it doesn't support AU (not a problem for me since I rarely use
them -- as I use my GRM EQ VST quite a lot and is the main tool in my
fix-it toolbox)
but SV *does* support LADSPA
and there are a lot of very useful LADSPA plugs out there (Audacity
also supports LADSPA which I think is really cool)
and it also supports Vamp and DSSI which are mostly analysis tools
but useful nonetheless