Simplifying Surround Playback (was Schoeps Double M/S - any experien

Subject: Simplifying Surround Playback (was Schoeps Double M/S - any experien
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:51 pm ((PST))
At 12:06 PM -0800 12/16/08, Dan Dugan wrote:
>Bernie Krause, you wrote,
>
>>  Not w/ Schoeps, folks, but with a double Sennheiser kluge system, butt
>>  to butt, reversing the channels on stereo playback recordings from a
>>  wildlife bird refuge with about 10,000 snow geese taking off and
>>  landing periodically. Recorded with 2 sync'd 722s. Four-channel
>>  playback was impressive but took lots of tech to set up properly so
>>  that a relative few could enjoy for a relatively short period of time.
>>  More a pain in the ass in the end...
>
>I know what you mean. Sharon and I did a surround playback lecture-
>demonstration for the Yosemite Association in August that was great
>but took a couple of hours to set up. I'm trying to remain committed
>to presenting in surround, so I'll try simplifying first. No mixer,
>driving powered speakers directly from the interface output with QLab
>software? No way to equalize speaker channels that way, unless, I
>guess, I popped for a Metric Halo MIO?

Impressive surround playback isn't easy for sure! Not being able to
adjust speaker EQ is not something I'd design in,.. ;-)

>And setting up two computers, one for slides, one for audio. I don't
>think PowerPoint can do surround.

I route the surround tracks through Logic Audio just so I can insert
room-specific, real-time EQ.  If you don't want to mess with the
multiple tracks in the complicated layout, its possible to embed the
multiple channels in a single QuickTime movie as the source. Six
16/48K tracks at should play and leave enough processing for moderate
real-time EQ on most laptops. There are cheaper cardbus/fw interfaces
than an MH to get the tracks out. Rob  D.