1. Introduction

Subject: 1. Introduction
From: "colinbox" colinbox
Date: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:34 pm ((PDT))
Greetings fellow nature recordists,

As a new member I invite you to learn here a bit about me, my
interests, and my motivation as a nature recordist.

I consider myself very fortunate to have lived in and around the
English Lake District all my life. The sound of wind, rain, mountain
streams, birds and sheep form the theme-tune of my life... So a
passion for recording those sights and sounds is hardly surprising! I
feel most alive in howling gales and horizontal rain on mountain-tops
- an environment I'm delighted to have experienced regularly since
infancy.

Now in my late 30's, and learning to live with chronic arthritis, the
Lake District weather is not quite as inviting as it used to be - but
no less invigorating! I've always loved extreme sports and pushing my
limits so am used to the trade-off between pleasure and pain. Keeping
that balance is what keeps me going... On good days I go walking with
camera or recording gear, make music in my little home studio, or help
single-parent friends by looking after a child for a day or two. On
the not-so-good days those pictures, sounds, and memories help
maintain my joie de vivre.

Nature recording only really became a passion for me last year when my
mobility became limited - before then I felt no need to record because
I was constantly immersed in the sights and sounds of the natural
world. So, I have a lot to learn! The gear I use consists of Rode NT3
and NT4 mic's (originally for home studio use) and an Edirol R-09
recorder. As soon as I can save some money I aim to buy a mic which
can cope with damp environments! Both my Rode mic's feel bombproof so
the Rode NTG3 is what I'm saving up for. Any advice on the NTG3 - or
suggestions of alternatives with a similar price would be greatly
appreciated.

I hope that was a suitable introduction for you all.

Best regards to my fellow nature recordists,

Colin Brown

PS. There are times when I simply can't type and occasionally I'm
unable to send messages for several days... I apologise in advance for
anyone kept waiting for a response.