Re: Olympus LS10 digital recorder

Subject: Re: Olympus LS10 digital recorder
From: "Holly Faithfull" hollyfaithfull
Date: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:52 am ((PDT))
Dear Martyn

Thanks for your response, and your advice.  I hadn't realised that playback was
such a taboo issue on your site, so apologies for that.

I am a general wildlife guide, working throughout Africa, Asia and South
America with small groups, looking for mammals, birds and reptiles.  I don't
work where lots of birders are, and so the birds do not hear much playback,
though I appreciate that playback can be a big problem in the US.  I have
worked with many professional bird guides, who obviously use playback to call
in birds for their clients, and I was looking for less bulky and less
sophisticated equipment than they use to help me in the field.I will look on
your site for "playback" and see what that gives me.

Regards,
Holly Faithfull

To: : : Thu, 23
Oct 2008 08:34:04 -0700Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Olympus LS10 digital
recorder

First of all (what is your name)? please read the description of our home page
deterring conversation regarding "playback" in the field.> This moderated group
is interested in techniques, issues and general > discussion of recording
natural sounds. Topics include, but aren't > limited to recording techniques
and equipment, recording venues and > discussions of various animal
vocalizations and communication. Other > natural sounds, such as water, weather
and wind-generated sounds are > valid topics.>> Issues related to computerized
editing of sounds, copyrights, > Internet applications and commercial uses of
files are encouraged.>> It is sometimes necessary to limit discussions that,
although they > may be pertinent or desirable to some, can become contentious.
In > the interest of the list's survival as a forum for discussion of >
recording natural sound, It is recognized that the "playback" thread > (playing
recorded sounds back to animals) has the potential for > creating a
 n atmosphere on the list that is not conducive to civil > discussion.
Therefore the discussion on playback is not allowed in > this group.>> Sound
files may not be attached to postings, nor will any other > attachements be
allowed. Members are encouraged to discuss unknown > or unidentified sounds
they have recorded and to post sound files > and to post sounds to the group so
that other members can hear them. > The moderator has supplied a web site,
which can be found on the > "Links" page, to which members may post sounds
larger than 200K for > the benefit of the group.I would advise that you search
through our archives by typing "playback" in the search menu, you may find what
you need to know there.Regarding recorders with loud enough speakers I don't
believe they exist for your requirements forcing you to look for ulterior
options.regardsMartyn*************************************Martyn
Stewarthttp://www.naturesound.orgRedmond
WA425-898-046247.65420118705451-121.98158740
 9
 97314Make every garden a wildlife
habitat**************************************Listen to the Birds and the Bees
athttp://naturesound.libsyn.org/------------------------------------------------View
 a Nature Recordists
Blog!http://naturesound.blogspot.com/http://naturesound.org/Copyright.htmlOn
Oct 23, 2008, at 8:23 AM, hollyfaithfull wrote:> I am interested in getting a
digital recorder to use in the field, to> pay bird calls, and also to record
birds and use the recorder for> playback. I have read reviews for many digital
recorders, and liked> the sound of both the Sony PCM-D50 and Olympus LS-10. I
was moving> towards the LS-10 until I read various criticisms on Amazon that
the> playback volume is very low.>> All the comments I have read on other
review sites have been by people> using the recorders to record music or
talking, and it doesn't sound > as> though anyone is using the built-in
speakers for playback. If the> playback volume is too low then I would need to
use a se