Re: fun with bat sounds

Subject: Re: fun with bat sounds
From: "werainey" werainey
Date: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:38 am ((PDT))
> I recorded them around the Pinnacles national monument, Bill.
> Same consistency as you described...

Martin,
Pinnacles is a reliable site for the species and they can also be recorded =
a bit further north
in the upper Los Banos basin. There is an 1898 specimen even further north =
from Hayward
on San Francisco Bay. If you record them in the Bay Area or further north i=
n the Coast
Range, I'd be interested to hear about it.

> > Is there an authoritative source for identifying bat species by
> > their sound?
>
> I use Sonobat for all my bat sounds, David.
> http://www.sonobat.com/

Sonobat is a good program, but the identification challenge lies in the lim=
ited knowledge
of call variation and geographic range of many species. The Western mastiff=
 in northern
California is among the most distinctive, but there are rare specimen recor=
ds of another
nominal desert bat, the Big freetail, in northern California (extending int=
o the Pacifc NW)
This species has a similar call with frequency range a bit higher the Weste=
rn mastiff
(minimum frequency around 12 kHz rather than a bit below 7).
Bill R.