Re: fun with bat sounds

Subject: Re: fun with bat sounds
From: "werainey" werainey
Date: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:20 pm ((PDT))
David,
Nice recording, From the frequency range and how it sounds downconverted 10=
X it is
almost certainly the Western Mastiff bat (Eumops perotis), North America's =
largest bat.
There are only a couple of other species in the region that reach frequenci=
es that low and
they don't sound similar. The Interpulse interval  with such 'cruising call=
s' is usually around
.5-.75 second, but may extend to a second. Between calls they are, in essen=
ce, waiting for
the echoes.

Can you indicate more specifically where you made the recording? The specie=
s seems to
be less frequently encountered on the eastern slope of the Sierra than on t=
he west and, at
this point, we have few recordings north of the latitude of Red Bluff.

Bill R.
> Hi Naturerecordingists, here is an mp3 of a bat I recorded in the Sierra =
at 8000 feet,
Mkh 20 Mod SASS into SD 702. First 12 sec is as recorded, from 7 to 11 Khz;=
 then the
same sounds dropped in pitch to 700 to 1100 hz, using Audition's Pitch Bend=
er. In
spectral view I cut out all but the target sounds. I think it is quite a be=
autiful sound, with a
lot of reverb, I had no idea. Is there an authoritative source for identify=
ing bat species by
their sound?

> Thanks,
> David

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: