Re: AES

Subject: Re: AES
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Tue Oct 7, 2008 4:35 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Martyn Stewart <>
wrote:

> I have
> dropped mine for 20 feet and the only thing that finally finished
its
> life was my ex wife smashing it up in a fit of rage when we
divorced!

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think 'wife-proofing' is in the
testing regime! Perhaps it ought to be?

> Nagra and sound devices do not make recorders for "Nature
> recordist" nor in fact does anyone else in the market.

This is an annoying fact. No matter what we choose, it is always
optimised for something else.

> We as a
> collective group are responsible for testing them in the field.
> Microphones are in the same boat, the only microphones I would
take
> into high humidity are the MKH series because of their durability
and
> size of diaphragms. They preform 100% of the time.

I have yet to get some of those, but they are on my list. My Schoeps
generally perform well, but sometimes they let me down in high
humidity. At least I know why, and I know the solution (RF
condensers!). The trouble for me is that, as I've just mentioned in a
possibly regrettable post I sent as you were writing this one I'm
replying to now, my audio equipment has to satisfy numerous needs,
not just nature recording. I don't like the sound of the MKH series
for music, so it is hard to justify the expense if I'm possibly only
going to use them for nature recording. But I'm saving, because I
have been to some great nature recording locations and returned with
less-than-optimum results due to these problems.

Never had any problems with DPAs, come to think of it, although they
don't seem to rate much mention here.

> The sound devices 7* series recorders are top quality recorders and
> have tried and tested them in unforgiving environments, my point
is
> basically you can have the best preamps and best mics and
recorders
> out there but will they work where you need them to?

I think that we both have the same point there, actually.

Historically, Nagras have been very reliable. I've had my concerns
about some of the newer models, that appear to have moved away from
the classic Nagra design that had the sculpted aluminium housings,
modulometers, chicken-head knobs and so on. But after using the Nagra
VI for a month, those concerns have mostly been dismissed. Time will
tell, however.

> If you took the Nagra VI would you be as
> confident? (It's the Nagra VI  I'm talking about NOT nagra as a
company)

I'd definitely want to check it out in a high humidity situation
first of all; there's no doubt about that. Other than that, I'd feel
quite confident taking it. I don't mind a bigger backpack, so long as
it's not a significantly heavier backpack!

- Greg Simmons