Re: AES

Subject: Re: AES
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Tue Oct 7, 2008 3:49 pm ((PDT))
In a nutshell, Greg. I have taken Nagra recorders to environments so  =

unfriendly and have been rewarded by their reliability,
Bernie (Krause) dropped one out of a helicopter from 30 feet and the
bloody thing was still recording when he went to retrieve it, I have
dropped mine for 20 feet and the only thing that finally finished its
life was my ex wife smashing it up in a fit of rage when we divorced!
I'm well aware of the professionalism of Nagra, i've owned them for
year and I still do but here is the thing, You would never take a
recorder or a microphone to an environment you were not sure of how it
preformed. Nagra and sound devices do not make recorders for "Nature
recordist" nor in fact does anyone else in the market. We as a
collective group are responsible for testing them in the field.
Microphones are in the same boat, the only microphones I would take
into high humidity are the MKH series because of their durability and
size of diaphragms. They preform 100% of the time.

The sound devices 7* series recorders are top quality recorders and I
have tried and tested them in unforgiving environments, my point is
basically you can have the best preamps and best mics and recorders
out there but will they work where you need them to? If I was given a
choice to go to Ecuador next week and I could take my pick from any
recorder, price no exception it would be the 7* series recorders and
sennheiser MKH series in a heartbeat and I bet you I would come back
with my sounds intact... If you took the Nagra VI would you be as
confident? (It's the Nagra VI  I'm talking about NOT nagra as a company)

Martyn
*************************************
Martyn Stewart
http://www.naturesound.org