1. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input

Subject: 1. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input
From: "Phil Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:08 am ((PDT))
Hi Curt

If I may chip in? I use an MZRH1 with a MixPre and using the XLR outputs of the
MixPre
wired for unbalanced feeding the MZRH1 line-in. I find that sending tone from
the MixPre
and setting a level on the MZRH1 meters of -12dB, which corresponds to a
setting of 18
on the MZRH1 that the resultant wav file when opened in Adobe Audition shows
the tone
as -18dB, which is quite handy. So for most of my recordings the MZRH1 is
usually set to
this 18/30 setting.

I can't say I can hear that the MZRH1 is 'adding' any noise or degrading the
output of the
MixPre it sounds pretty clean to me. Do you feed the Hi-MD recorder from the
3.5 mm
tape out or use the XLR wired for unbalanced which according to Sound Devices
for the
MixPre you should use pin 1 and 2 only?

Phil