1. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input

Subject: 1. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:14 am ((PDT))
At 2:11 AM +0000 9/23/08, gwapuffin wrote:
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>Curt Olson <> wrote:
>>
>>  A follow-up report, as promised...
>>
>>  My new Zoom H2 came today from Sweetwater. A quick and dirty
>comparison
>>  with a Hi-MD recorder reveals the following:
>>
>>  (AT3032s > SD MixPre > recorder line input) This H2's line in seems
>>  be slightly cleaner and quieter than my Sony Hi-MD recorder.
>>

>Looking on SP web site I see pre amps for PIP mics in the $90-120 price
>range, would these produce more noise than we would want?

Hi Gerry--
Perhaps I'm not grasping your question. One should not need a mic
preamp for PIP mics unless one's recorder doesn't supply PIP voltage.
In that case, a "battery box" to power the mics (~$70) will do the
job. Currently, most mics that require PIP have 14 dB(A) or higher
self-noise-- the great majority have self-noise well above 20 dB(A).
Using _any_ external pre with these mics is not likely to provide any
noise performance improvement.  Mics that run on PIP are a special
class of mics and its best to use them directly with PIP recorders.
Curt is using phantom supply mics in his tests. Rob D.