2. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input

Subject: 2. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:57 pm ((PDT))
Phil Tyler wrote:

> If I may chip in? I use an MZRH1 with a MixPre and using the XLR
> outputs of the MixPre wired for unbalanced feeding the MZRH1 line-in.
> I find that sending tone from the MixPre and setting a level on the
> MZRH1 meters of -12dB, which corresponds to a setting of 18 on the
> MZRH1 that the resultant wav file when opened in Adobe Audition shows
> the tone as -18dB, which is quite handy. So for most of my recordings
> the MZRH1 is usually set to this 18/30 setting.

Thanks for this, Phil. Your findings pretty much confirm that my input
setting of "21" is at least in the ballpark.

> I can't say I can hear that the MZRH1 is 'adding' any noise or
> degrading the output of the MixPre it sounds pretty clean to me.

I agree. The combination of MixPre > Hi-MD provides excellent bang for
the buck -- so excellent that I waited a very long time before jumping
to the H2.

> Do you feed the Hi-MD recorder from the 3.5 mm tape out or use the XLR
> wired for unbalanced which according to Sound Devices for the MixPre
> you should use pin 1 and 2 only?

Yes, I use the 3.5 mm tape out. Audio will end up going into the
recorder unbalanced either way, so I figure I might as well use the
smaller, lighter connector. And the location of the "Tape Out" on the
MixPre makes for a much more compact package.

Curt Olson