Re: Dawn Chorus - Gordon Hempton

Subject: Re: Dawn Chorus - Gordon Hempton
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:28 pm ((PDT))
At 10:17 AM -0600 9/11/08, Kevin Colver wrote:

>The loudness of my performer and the
>  > decision on whether I want reverb all factor in on how close to
>>  place the mic.
>  >
>  >I look and listen for reverb possibilities. If the hillside makes
>  > a natural inward-curved amphitheater I can search for the audio
>>  center that captures the reflected sounds and amplifies the
>>  soundscape in a pleasing way. A songbird's song reverberating in a
>>  small canyon sounds so much different than the same bird out on an
>>  open slope. To me, a small amount of natural reverb makes the
>  > recording more pleasing.
>

>>  Oh, and BTW, on a gear note, Lang Elliott was telling me how he
>>  compared the Head Gordon uses with his SASS setup and a pair of MHK
>>  20 mics. Lang found the SASS slightly superior and quieter. I
>>  would have to defer that discussion to Lang and Gordon.

Hi Kevin--
Thanks very much. Useful tips. Yes, I was definitely thinking of a
workshop conducted in the field. You're right that learning to move
away from sounds of interest to facilitate richer spatial imaging
doesn't come instinctively.

As for pleasing reverberation, the timing relations and volume
proportions between the key sound reflections would seem to have big
roles.  For extended recording situations, I've been transversing the
site in a crude grid clapping my hands every 20-30 steps. I can
confidently determine the surfaces that are reflecting sounds most
effectively and hear the mix of reflections at these points. Then I
can visualize the positions that are advantageously positioned to
receive reflections from all of the primary reflective surfaces. It
similar to your process of using a natural amphitheater but its still
mostly an educated guess as I can only hear a limited number of sound
sources at the final position I choose. Do others have ways to
evaluate micing positions in terms of local reverberations or
acoustics for diffuse field micing?

I'd love to hear those SASS vs KU 81 comparison recordings if they
are still accessible. Rob D.