Re: Dawn Chorus - Gordon Hempton

Subject: Re: Dawn Chorus - Gordon Hempton
From: "Kevin Colver" kjcolver
Date: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:49 am ((PDT))
Martyn,

You underestimate your talent, mate!  We don't all have that 35 years
of year-round experience coupled with natural ability, so we need
"Microphone placement for Dummies" a guide for the rest of us :)

To tell the truth, I have many, many hours of good, acceptable,
average recordings, but only a few that I consider really "great" or
artistic.  Those are precious to me.  I listen and ponder:  What was
the difference, why are these so beautiful?

Some of the factors I come up with include:

- Interesting creatures or subjects - making great sounds
- Maybe something rare, but sometimes something common, recorded in a
perfect setting
- Pleasing placement of subjects in the stereo field, sometimes with
action or movement within the field (Drama!)
- Sound volume just right, not too loud, not too faint
- Appropriate habitat natural reverb
- Variety, to hold interest: interesting things going on (Story!)
- Absence of annoyances such as human-made sounds (usually, however I
can imagine situations where the humanity in a recording would play a
role)
- And Luck (which I believe can be 90% generated by research, talent,
and hard work)

I'll have to admit that some of my great recordings I owe to Lady
Luck.  My goal is to examine and learn so she will spend more time at
my side.

Kevin

Oh, and regarding patience while recording; you and I know that
having patience  isn't always easy.  Some of the newer recordists may
not realize what can be involved.  I know you've spent the days and
nights in mud, leeches, and flies.  One of my beautiful recordings
was the Hermit Thrush in Katmai, Alaska at 2:30 AM in a rain
drizzle.  I spent the night lying under a spruce in the wet moss in
the rain waiting for those sounds.  I kept warm by shivering all
night.  I loved it, felt privileged to be there.  I sometimes feel
like Survivor Man.  But I have more fun. The pain and misery
disappear as I monitor the sounds in my headphones.