Re: Microphone cabling

Subject: Re: Microphone cabling
From: "Kim Cascone" anechoicmedia
Date: Mon Sep 8, 2008 12:20 pm ((PDT))
> Me again;
> This seems to imply that ANY three wire cable will automatically, via
> the anti-phase component, cancel any electrical noise. Is it that the
> 'common mode noise rejection' is not incorporated in all equipment, or
> is there another explanation?
all *balanced* inputs (meaning the actual opamp or amp circuit
itself) will have a 'common mode noise rejection' specification
most of the CMNR specs on good opamps (THAT 1512 etc) today are so
good one doesn't really have to bother knowing them -- unless you are
a spec junkie

hence a properly built microphone cable using good shielding and well
grounded gear will assure that most EM or RF hitting the cable will
be nulled at the balanced amp
like others pointed out: Mogami, Canare or Belden are good choices

I also uploaded a pdf to the server with info about Canare Star Quad
cables 'starquadCableInfo.pdf'
I use a pair of 5ft Star Quads that I bought years ago for
interconnecting in my studio
so I put them to work after finding them at the bottom of a box in my
studio closet

but stay clear of the audiophile high-end cables that are
cryogenically dipped or blessed by pygmy holy men in Jakarta -- like
someone stated previously: cables are the biggest scam in audio
see quad hanger wire vs. Monster cable test:
http://tinyurl.com/5eqtnw

<snip>
> We gathered up a 5 of our audio buddies. We took my "old" Martin
> Logan SL-3 (not a bad speaker for accurate noise making) and hooked
> them up with Monster 1000 speaker cables (decent cables according
> to the audio press). We also rigged up 14 gauge, oxygen free Belden
> stranded copper wire with a simple PVC jacket. Both were 2 meters
> long. They were connected to an ABX switch box allowing blind fold
> testing. Volume levels were set at 75 Db at 1000K Hz. A high
> quality recording of smooth, trio, easy listening jazz was played
> (Piano, drums, bass). None of us had heard this group or CD before,
> therefore eliminating biases. The music was played. Of the 5 blind
> folded, only 2 guessed correctly which was the monster cable. (I
> was not one of them). This was done 7 times in a row! Keeping us
> blind folded, my brother switched out the Belden wire (are you
> ready for this) with simple coat hanger wire! Unknown to me and our
> 12 audiophile buddies, prior to the ABX blind test, he took apart
> four coat hangers, reconnectd them and twisted them into a pair of
> speaker cables. Connections were soldered. He stashed them in a
> closet within the testing room so we were not privy to what he was
> up to. This made for a pair of 2 meter cables, the exact length of
> the other wires. The test was conducted. After 5 tests, none could
> determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire.
> Further, when music was played through the coat hanger wire, we
> were asked if what we heard sounded good to us. All agreed that
> what was heard sounded excellent, however, when A-B tests occured,
> it was impossible to determine which sounded best the majority of
> the time and which wire was in use. Needless to say, after the
> blind folds came off and we saw what my brother did, we learned he
> was right...most of what manufactures have to say about their
> products is pure hype. It seems the more they charge, the more
> hyped it is.

</snip>