Re: Digest Number 4059

Subject: Re: Digest Number 4059
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Sep 8, 2008 12:15 pm ((PDT))
> M/S  rig
>     Posted by: "artsonics"  artsonics
>     Date: Sun Sep 7, 2008 10:54 pm ((PDT))
>
> Hello everyone,
>   A question to the M/S users. What mid mic are you all useing and why?
> I read a lot of users with MKH40 with there MKH30. How would any of
> the following go with the MKH30: ME64, ME66, AT3032, MKH50 or MKH60?
> I am mostly looking for a suitable mic for close ambience, not so much
> for distance.

Loud or quiet ambiance?  Ambiance from what shape area?

The MKH-30's characteristics most closely match the MKH-40 or 50.  The
MKH 20, 80, 800, 60, 70, and 8000 series are a newer and quieter design
than the MKH-30, though they vary between themselves. The ME series are
more or less of the quality of the 40 or 50 but have much poorer polar
patterns.  The AT3032 is lower quality than all the rest, it would work
better paired with itself in something like the SASS.

It would be nice to see Sennheiser bring out a modernized 8000 series
figure 8, but I'm not holding my breath.  I use the MKH-30 with the 40
and 60, but use a pair of MKH-80's with one of them being the figure 8
in that set. That is definitely a better setup than the MKH-40/30 based
M/S, the MKH-60 M/S provides a different pickup area, it would probably
benefit from using the MKH-80 for the side but that would be complicated
to set up.

> Another question is how ok is it to join long runs of Canare L-4E5C
> and if there are degradations in signal quality? (At least noticable
> losses) eg: joining two or more 50 meter lengths to make a longer,100
> or 150 meter extension. I am intending to use Neutrik HD
> connectors...so there aren't much better but will avoid this and make
> longer cables if joining is not a good idea. Any advice please.
> thank you.

I use multi sections of Canare star quad wired as 5-pin stereo with
Neutrik HD gold connectors.  Out to 350 meters or so if I string
together all the sections. I've not noticed any change that's length or
section number dependent.

It all depends on your uses.  I prefer a variety of cable lengths to
match the sort of lengths I need. I don't too often have to go way long,
so 100 feet is the longest single cable I have. My longer cables are the
smaller diameter Canare star quad.

Note I'm talking about nature recording, which is pretty much all done a
long ways from electromagnetic sources.  I don't think I'd try stereo
through star quad in a studio setting or such.