5. Re: Decca Tree?

Subject: 5. Re: Decca Tree?
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:24 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "John Lundsten"
<> wrote:

> As I wrote previously the Frog / pond /narrator example is by no
means a
> proper MS recording. Interesting yes, proper MS no way.

With nomenclature being an issue here, can you please elaborate on
your definition of 'proper MS'?

It is recorded with a proper MS rig, in this case using a cardioid
and bidirectional coincident pair, with the cardioid facing forwards
and the bidirectional facing 90 degrees to the left of centre. It
is, and must be, decoded to stereo using an MS decoder. There are no
other mics blended into the mix, unlike your car example (a good
example, by the way). When collapsed to mono, the S signal cancels
out.

It is, by definition, a 'proper' MS recording and I cannot see how
you can say that it is not. What if you were recording a bit of
forest ambience in a field with an MS pair, and a bird happened to
land 12 inches in front of the microphone and started calling? Is
that suddenly no longer an MS recording?

- Greg 'puzzled' Simmons