2. Re: OLYMPUS LS-10 VS DAT RECORDINGS UPLOADED

Subject: 2. Re: OLYMPUS LS-10 VS DAT RECORDINGS UPLOADED
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Sun Jul 6, 2008 2:40 am ((PDT))
Hi Vicky,

That's quite interesting. I just measured the input noise levels of my
LS-10 at both MIC SENSE settings and at various REC LEVEL settings
(http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm). These bench measurements
confirm your findings quite well.

While the MIC SENSE HIGH setting at REC LEVEL 2 provides the same
overall gain as the MIC SENSE LOW at REC LEVEL 10 (the input clipping
level is -30 dBu in both cases), the latter configuration provides 10
dB less noise.

The noise at high sensitivity at volume 5 is -110 dBu(A), which is
still slightly more than the -112 dBu(A) at low sensitivity at volume 10.

Though, the noise at the LOW sense setting is still higher (-112 dBu
(A)) than at the HIGH sense setting (-121 dBu(A)) when using the
maximum REC level of 10.

So, I agree that this is really an complex issue. This means that one
should try out all available options in order to get the best possible
results for a specific recording situation.

Regards,
Raimund