Re: Filtering

Subject: Re: Filtering
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:34 am ((PDT))
<<The noise removal process you're referring to is based on 'noise
printing': taking a sonic fingerprint of the noise and building
filter(s) to remove it. The success of the process relies very much on
the quality of the noise print used, so it is important to choose a
good segment of the recording that has plenty of the noise but no
other sounds of interest or value.>>

It's been my experience when using BIAS Soundsoap Pro that I always
get better results when manually adjusting the threshold & degree of
noise reduction for each frequency band, rather than using the noise
print facility. I have also not gotten satisfactory results from the
iZotope NR software, I suspect because it locks the user out of
access to its individual frequency bands. For me, one size doesn't
fit all.

Scott Fraser