Re: Filtering

Subject: Re: Filtering
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:23 am ((PDT))
<<Several years back, I described using "stacked plugs" as a work-
around for parametric EQ plug-ins that only provide a few bands when
more bands are required. I can't think of a reason to use mulitple
passes when one can makes all the necessary changes at once. I try to
follow the "simpler is better" axiom and often combine several types
of digital processing like EQ, balance, gain, phase and increasing
bit depth into one, final, step when out-putting a file. When I'm
having trouble judging which equalization settings/effects produce
the best results, I output the varied attempts and compare them back
to back in a timeline.
I can see the merit in taking time with the judgements, but not in
spreading the decisions out over multiple processing passes. Rob D.>>

This makes sense when using EQs, however, multiband noise reduction
algorithms require a different approach. It's not a matter of putting
off decisions, but rather allowing the software to work within its
limitations better. If, for example, a pass of processing which
removes a perceived 10db of noise also produces audible artifacts,
two runthroughs which each provide 5db improvement can often result
in none of the chirpy, burbly artifacts which limit the effectiveness
in this sort of application. Additionally, I find that several broad,
low-Q cuts of just a few db in EQ centered around the most egregious
noise, prior to the noise reduction implementation helps the NR app
by giving it less to do.

Scott Fraser