Re: Kookaburra

Subject: Re: Kookaburra
From: "John Tudor" jtudor2005
Date: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:16 pm ((PDT))
This recording was made at 5:30 am on Tuesday the 6th May 2008 on the
River Murray above Blanchetown.

For those interested, there is a Google Earth KML file of the location
here too.

I'd only just recieved my new Sound Devices 702 CF recorder the week
before and only two days before had recieved and rigged a Rode NT1-A
and a Legacy Axis-70 ribbon. I set these as a vertical M/S stereo in
some PVC piping. Kerry made up the wind fur for me the night before we
left on the houseboat trip on the 5th.  The other people with us on
the holdiay thought we'd brought a pet Racoon along for the week.

The recording is my first made with any intent.

The squacking background is the giant flock of Sulphar Crested
Cockatoo about 1 km away. The entrie recording was about 10 minutes
long but after about 4 minutes becomes un-usable due to the cockatoos.
So this edited recording is only about 3:30 long.

The main interest here is the 'chatter' that goes on in the first one
and half to two minutes between a couple of Kookaburras.

There is a fade out/in towards the end where I chopped out a large
group of cockatoos flying overhead. Finally in the closing seconds,
there is my favorite melodic Australian bird, the Magpie. It's only
there for a couple of seconds but is still a nice sound.

The only post work done is cutting out some lower frequencies that
relate to a camping ground across the river and a road somewhere
nearby. I also gain matched the channels.

Regards
John

-River%20Murray.mp3

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: