Fading In (and Out) of recording segments

Subject: Fading In (and Out) of recording segments
From: "William Ruscher Jr." immonacan99
Date: Sun Jun 1, 2008 9:30 pm ((PDT))
Hi All,

       At times, I would like to remove a portion out of my longer
recordings. It is more pleasing (for me anyway), to hear a fade in
and fade out of the segment, instead of the segment crashing in and
out if louder sounds are present in the recording. Trying to find the
right spot to start and stop is a pain. I need to learn more on this
important technique and how other recordists are doing it. I use Cool
Edit that has a fade in/out feature , but it's alot like a "Hey Jude"
long gradual fade that takes up to 1/3 of your segment, each way. I
find it works out sometimes on some recordings, but leaves me looking
for sounds on others that I would like to hear at the full recorded
level. Is there something I am missing on Cool Edit, or is there
another audio editing software program that could do a short fade
in/out (like 3-5 seconds) ?  I know that using my recording level
volume would be the best way to fade, on the original recording, and
I try my best to do so. The Sony MZ-NH1 is a nice little recorder,
but the remote is so tiny and sometimes tough to control, especially
in the dark. I've messed up a couple recordings with the manual
recording level control on the remote going crazy wild up and down.
That is one reason for wanting to cut out a segment! I thought about
using my 9V preamp for just the gain level knob alone, but honestly,
the recordings sound better without it ahead of the MZ-NH1.  Like
always, any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

         Bill   (getting more technical by the minute)