Crows talking

Subject: Crows talking
From: "Alexia Stevens" curlyblackabby
Date: Wed May 28, 2008 10:24 pm ((PDT))
I finally got around to getting an audio clip up on my school's website.
It is the story of some hungry young crows and their disgruntled
parents. I recorded this with a Sony Hi-MD recorder and Telinga stereo
microphone in a parabolic dish, on June 30, 2007.

You can go right to the sound here:
http://www.wildernessawareness.org/audio/2007-06-30_crow.mp3

Here's the caption from the website: I heard a pair of young fledged
crows whining as their parents were out
foraging. They glanced at me standing just below them with my big
microphone, but didn=92t seem to worry. You hear the young birds vocalize
more as the parents return with food. Right after the fledglings got
fed, the parents noticed me and started yelling.

Listen for the crow begging calls at 6, 18, and 31 seconds. They have
that "shiftless teenager" sound. This was before the parents returned.

At 41 seconds Mom and Dad came back. Listen to how their voices are
muffled from the food in their beaks. They fed the babies=97listen for the=

swallowing. At 53 seconds the parents spotted me and really let me have
it. You=92ll hear the volume change as they swoop towards and away from me.

I love how the voices of individual birds are evident in this recording,
from the clueless juveniles to the preoccupied parents suddenly noticing
me skulking in the bushes...

I didn't do any editing except fade out some low frequencies in between
crow calls. I sort of like the suburban ambiance in the background, and
the crows started sounding tinny if I took out more. If more experienced
ears hear changes that could be made, please let me know.

Alexia Stevens
Woodinville, WA