Re: Other recordists in Western New York?

Subject: Re: Other recordists in Western New York?
From: "William Ruscher Jr." immonacan99
Date: Thu May 29, 2008 12:00 am ((PDT))
Hi Dave,

          I'm from Rochester in Monroe Co.  I was out at Iroquois NWR
this past Memorial Day weekend. I made some recordings at dusk on the
Onondaga trail, and obtained a special use permit to record on the
refuge after dark. Swallow Hollow was loaded with Grey Tree Frogs,
some Green Frogs and a few early Bull Frogs. I couldn't locate any W
Chorus Frogs on the refuge, this time. I was able to get some decent
recordings (some background farm combine whining noise at dusk, and
fireworks at night in the distance), and I'm still going through the
saved files. I came out to the enclosed parking area to find myself
blocked in by a NY State DEC SUV with a boat in tow. Since no officer
was in the vehicle, and I was going nowhere, I went back on the loop
trail to try to get close to a Barred Owl that I heard off in the
distant woods. Just as I stealthed my way close, and was ready to
record, I heard the jingling of keys and then the flashlight shined
in my eyes. The officer reviewed my permit and we chatted about the
owl, which went silent for the evening....bummer.  Quiet places are
getting harder to find, but I've had some luck in the Adirondacks,
Finger Lakes NF, Nations Rd area north of Geneseo, NY., Murray, NY
near the Erie Canal, Alleghany NF, and Allegany SP to name a few.

Regards,

        Bill

--- In  "jerkabobber"
<> wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone wanted to "let me know" if your from
the
> Western New York area. I'm in Niagara county, I'd like to possibly
get
> together someday with fellow local recordists, exchange recording
> location info and the like, and to just know there are some local
> reordist out there. Ultimatly I'd like to make a personal list of
local
> recordists if your ok with that... and If your wondering what
Western