Re: External mic suggestions for Olympus LS-10

Subject: Re: External mic suggestions for Olympus LS-10
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed May 28, 2008 9:11 pm ((PDT))
At 4:49 PM -0700 5/28/08, peter rhalter wrote:
>The Denecke PS-2 - Portable Dual 48V Phantom Power Supply is another
>option. You will also need a double XLR to 3.5mm cable. If the LS-10
>provides plug-in power, you may need to either turn it off or block
>it to avoid added hum.
>Peter

Hi Peter--
Yes, I can confirm there is a possibility of hum. I found that the
Denecke PS-2 unit can generate a hum when used with some recorders
that have Power in Plug (PIP) mic inputs. I got a loud hum with all
of the Sony and Sharp consumer products I tested and the capacitors
needed to eliminate it (block the DC) affected LF response more that
I would have wanted.  The PS-2 may work with the LS-10, but it might
be wise to make sure that you can return the unit in case it doesn't.

I know it seems like using a $40-70 device between expensive mics and
a recorder doesn't make sense monetarily, but Eric Benjamin bench
tested the Rolls unit and found that it will not introduce noise even
when used with the the lowest noise, low impedance mics and lowest
noise recorders. I A/B'd the Rolls and Art and found there is no
audible difference in the noise performance between the two. Both
units produce 48 volts.

Curt Olson reported that he removed the Art Phantom II's printed
circuit board from the metal case (and also left behind the two XLR
outputs) with no ill effects to make it a much smaller unit.

The phantom supplies do require considerable power so you might want
to consider making a 10 X AA cell (NiMH rechargeable?) sled if you
want to record or monitor for long periods of time. Rob D.