Re: Field test: Sony PCM-D50

Subject: Re: Field test: Sony PCM-D50
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Wed May 28, 2008 1:36 am ((PDT))
Rob, you wrote:

> The stereo imaging with the capsules on the Sony
> D50 seems consistent with the left<->right
> imaging of the DR1 to me.  Rob D.

I'm not sure what actually happened to the DR-1 recording. You are
right  that it appears to be similar to the Sony D50 recording.
However, the DR-1 has fixed mics and the left mic should represent the
left channel.

Obviously, this effect might have something to do with the internal
orientation of the mics within the DR-1 housing. They both seem to
point forward and not to the left / right sides. Another issue might
be that I put the recorders on a stack. So, there might have been
reflections from the other units.

The Great Reed-Warbler was singing on the left hand side (lets say at
about 10 o'clock relative to the recorder axis).

Regards,
Raimund