Re: Dawn Chorus - International Dawn Chorus Day

Subject: Re: Dawn Chorus - International Dawn Chorus Day
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon May 26, 2008 8:20 am ((PDT))
Hi Phil--
Doesn't take much ambient background sound to obscure the
reverberations does it? This rig was 1.5 miles from a small town of
750 people. I'll typically get 10-20, 30-120 second intervals from 11
pm to 4 am per night with very low ambient background sound. In very
cold weather, there might be several 20-30 minute intervals in one
night. During warmer weather, 1-3, 15 minute intervals per week is
typical. Psychologically, it sounds, "very quiet" at night, but this
is a relative sound level judgment by ear. To the mics, there's
almost always _something_ droning away. Now that the vegetation is
growing back in this hemisphere, the wind will also obscure the
details of many natural events.

I moved to this rural location last October after living in cities
for 55 years. Some people seem to be "wired" to cope with high sound
levels. I think I'm finding out that I'm not one of them. The better
odds have been a fantastic motivator. Rob D.