Re: Lake County white-crowned sparrow for ID

Subject: Re: Lake County white-crowned sparrow for ID
From: "Doug Von Gausig" dougvg
Date: Mon May 26, 2008 8:34 am ((PDT))
Oscine Passerines, in general, learn their songs from their adults, and in=

populations that are isolated from others or that are resident in an area
the songs often evolve with time into distinct dialects. The more insular
the population is, the more likely it is to develop dialectic differences.=

White-crowned Sparrows are the poster child for this phenomenon. They
migrate, but they stay together as a population, and rarely mix with
others. At my home in central Arizona I am on their migration path from
Mexico to the mountains of Arizona, Colorado, and farther north. The
Arizona birds stay with me all winter and leave in the spring, so I become=

very familiar with their particular song types. When I hear this in the
summer up in the mountains, I know they are "my" birds. By the same token,=

when I vacation in the high mountains of Colorado, I hear a different
dialect, and I can tell when one of those birds is passing through my yard=

in Arizona during the spring migration. They are very distinct.

As to individual signature styles, I remember a single House Finch that
used a new ending to his song, kind of a coda-flourish that no others were=

using. I first heard him in Sedona, Arizona, about 10 years ago. As time
went on more and more Sedona House Finches picked up that ending started
using it in their songs. Now I hear it at my home in Clarkdale, 25 miles
away. That new twist to the song was apparently so catchy that it was
adopted far and wide! The innovative individual is probably a famous House=

Finch!

Occasionally I hear something new in a familiar song, so I know that
individuals try out new twists from time to time.

One of the examples I use when speaking to groups about learning bird song=

is the "style" metaphor. I tell them that they need to listen to the style=

and voice, not so much the particular song. As you say, if Frank Sinatra
sang rap, you could still tell it was Frank Sinatra! Birds are no different=
.

Doug

Doug Von Gausig
Natural Sounds  and Photos at: