ambisonic playback

Subject: ambisonic playback
From: "clay" dan.cesonrocks
Date: Sat May 3, 2008 12:55 pm ((PDT))

slightly off topic?

I'm interested in hearing for myself the
playback of ambisonics before allowing myself
to get too excited about tetramic, or other
surround sound recording possibilities,
due to price of equipment investment.

I did buy a Zoom H2 very recently.

Can anyone suggest a simple ambisonic playback solution?

I'm assuming computer-based is the way to
go, since dedicated Ambisonic decoders are rare
and expensive.

I use a Macbook Pro - no desktop - but please
don't limit suggestions to laptops.  One never
knows when a decision to buy a more powerful computer
will need justification.

Do I simply need to find a soundcard with 4 audio
outputs and ambisonic decoding software that runs OS X?

FWIW, I do NOT have any home theatre sound gear currently,
just an amazing sounding two channel system.  I'll
start by cobbling together a 4 channel (or 6 channel) setup,
and would never see a reason to go beyond 8.

I've looked over lots of forums and websites and
can't seem to identify the simple, basic solution.

Since most people do NOT have multi-channel
playback, I have a second question:

Has anyone converted multi-channel (i,e., >2) recordings
into UHJ format?  If so, how?

I've listened to Ambisonic recordings (Nimbus)
since their inception and can tell quite a difference
with a high resolution 2 channel system.

Anyone listening to CDs like Cowboy Junkies - The
Trinity Sessions will understand what I'm saying.

I hope to convert 4ch recordings to UHJ
for maximum effect via standard audio equipment.

I know Rob and Aaron and others have discussed
surround sound here in the past.  Any advise
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
clay