Re: ambisonic playback

Subject: Re: ambisonic playback
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun May 4, 2008 9:01 am ((PDT))
At 11:22 AM -0400 5/4/08, clay wrote:
>thanks Rob.
>
>Sursound seemed over-the-top technical to me, but I'll go there.

A theory-oriented discussion environment for sure. Takes all kinds.
For "Ambisonic" discussion, its the only good resource I know of, but
there could easily be resources I don't know! Many readers on this
list also subscribe to Sursound.

I have never recorded nor have I been able to create  Ambisonics file
playback on my mac/5.1 playback system that I was quite certain was
performing up to snuff. Many surround recordists seem to be pretty
opinionated about surround recording techniques-- possibly because
the imagery is challenging to create and re-present.  It seems like
you are having more success with Ambi  playback than I have.

As for playback gear (cards, amps, speakers for multiple speaker
playback)-- explore what folks are using on your surround mixing
software/computer platform. Software user forums should get to the
nitty gritty performance issues of cards, amps and monitor speakers--
tho it be a narrower group for surround.  In theory, good playback is
good playback were it be music or nature recording. The trickiest
decisions are in the recording but poor playback could make your
recording decisions moot.

One would think that many recordists would be very interested in what
is happening with surround developments. Walt Knapp pointed out that
understanding stereo imagery should be requisite and is in no way
simple to understand or practice. Its proven to be good advice for
me. Rob D.