Re: [gear] MKH 8040 sample comparison (raw files)

Subject: Re: [gear] MKH 8040 sample comparison (raw files)
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Fri May 2, 2008 9:56 am ((PDT))
Greg, thanks for posting. At some point here I'll do a comparison
between my Schoeps MK2 omnis and a pair of MKH8020 omnis that I'm
probably going to buy.

To me, the overall sound quality between the recordings is very close.
You can hear a tad more brightness in the Sennheisers, probably
because of their extended range.

I would agree that the V3 shouldn't be introducing any difference
worth discussion, it's a very close match to the Sound Devices preamp,
both are very quiet and high quality.

One thing that's pretty interesting to hear, if you have ProTools, or
some editing program that lets you play half speed, quarter speed,
have a listen between them. At normal speed, the recordings sound very
close. At half speed, the Sennheiser will appear to have a LOT more
noise, which has to be the extended frequency at work, the Schoeps is
rolling off all that high frequency air, which the Sennheiser at 96k
can capture. It's quite a startling difference in quality. And seems
pretty evident that if you want to record material in that 20k to 60k
range, the Sennheisers should be able to do it.

Tim