M/S (Mid/Side) Mic Recommendations

Subject: M/S (Mid/Side) Mic Recommendations
From: "frankie_tempest" frankie_tempest
Date: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:03 am ((PDT))
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a cheap and cheerful m/s mic. I was looking at
purchasing the Sony PCM D50 or Fostex FR LE recorder, and wanted a mic
that might complement this. I would like something with discreet MID
and SIDE outputs so it isn't necessarily matrix'd inside the mic. Self
powered would be nice as the Sony doesn't come with phantom power. I
was thinking of SHURE VP88 or the Audio Technica BP4029 (formerly
AT835ST). The VP88 emits a lot of self noise though which I am not too
keen on. Both mics are rather expensive and really I want something in
the spirit of the Sony PCM D50 which is like, "grab it and go" as
opposed to setting up cables, phantom power box, stands with cables
etc. Anyone got any experience with a good fairly cheap m/s mic that
gives incredible results and would be suitable for professional
applications?

Thanks for your replies.