Re: matching mic specs with recorder preamp -- thanks Rob D!

Subject: Re: matching mic specs with recorder preamp -- thanks Rob D!
From: "Jatinder Singh" duma_js
Date: Wed Apr 2, 2008 8:25 am ((PDT))
Hello Raimund,
Thank you for all your recommendations, I appreciate you taking the time.  =
I have two recording set-up's at the moment.
MZRH1/ ME66/K6
PMD620/ME62/K6 in a Telinga Pro Universal
Me and my wife conduct research on chimpanzees and sound recording is a sti=
mulating hobby for me.  I would like to be able to analyze the sounds thoug=
h.  I did download your Avisoft Lite software but I did not find an option =
where I can upload a sound file into it to analyze, am I doing something wr=
ong here.  I am currently using Raven Lite.
I am open to suggestions.
Thank you
Jatinder

Raimund Specht <> wrote:                             Ja=
tinder Singh wrote:

 > Hello All pros,
 > I have been following the discussion on Mic. recorder combinations,
 but have been able to digest only a little bit  of it - being a
 novice.  I was wondering if the likes of Rob, Raimund and others would
 be kind enough to develop a list of mic and recorder combinations in
 increasing order of quality and price so that novices can then take a
 look at it and depending on their budget and purpose pick a
 combination.  I know it is going to involve a bit of work, but it will
 be a blessing for novices and newcomers like me and help us to invest
 our money in the right place.  Also, recommendations on sound analysis
 software will be welcomed.
 > Thank you all
 > Jatinder

 I'm also afraid that such a list would probably very difficult to
 create. Please also note that the noise issue is only one thing to
 consider when investing in new gear. Another important factor for
 instance is its usability and ruggedness.

 If you are mainly interested in (scientifically) studying animal
 vocalizations, then the noise issue that has been discussed here
 extensively is probably not such a big issue for you. This is
 certainly true if you are using a parabola.

 In any case I would (subjectively) recommend a Sennheiser K6/MExx
 series microphone. On a very limited budget, you could look at the
 TASCAM DR-1 or Marantz PMD620 recorders. The slightly more expensive
 Olympus LS-10 would provide a significantly lower preamp noise floor.

 Though, most of the above mentioned recorders might suffer from their
 small size with their tiny and often fragile 3.5mm microphone input
 connectors (the DR-1 has the advantage that it also offers a more
 rugged 1/4" input). So, if your budget allows, you might consider one
 of the larger recorders with XLR microphone input connectors such as
 the FOSTEX FR-2LE, Marantz PMD 660, 671 or TASCAM HD-P2. You can
 expect that these recorders will be more reliable under rough field
 conditions.

 Recommendations on sound analysis software would also depend on your
 specific application. In case you need to measure sound parameters in
 the context of a bioacoustic research project, you might have a look
 at our Avisoft-SASLab Pro software
 (http://www.avisoft.com/soundanalysis.htm). There is also free Light
 version available. Other options include for instance the free
 Audacity software (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) that provides a
 basic spectrogram display option.

 Regards,
 Raimund

                                      =

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster To=
tal Access, No Cost.