Re: 2 mics with M/S or 3 mics mixed to stereo ?

Subject: Re: 2 mics with M/S or 3 mics mixed to stereo ?
From: "ozrall" ozrall
Date: Fri Mar 7, 2008 4:06 pm ((PST))
Thanks to everyone for such considered responses.

Like so many forum questions I see in various places - I too also
wrote without a full disclosure !
I haven't received my MKH30 yet ! nor my pair of consecutive serial
numbered Rode NT2A's (which have selectable Omni, Figure 8, Cardiod)
So at least in the interim I was attempting stereo and super cardiod
without the right gear.

But I can see my technical understanding of M/S was flawed anyway.

It is clearly a complex field if one wants to understand exactly what
is happening and why. I want to, but I suspect I will have a lot of
recording done by the time I have even half an idea.

I am much the wiser in any number of areas as a result of this thread.

I tried it. (before reading all the posts overnight)
Before sunset this morning I took a walk with 2 (cheap) cardiods
(Behringer C2s) on a pole as Left and Right at approx 90=B0 and a MKH816
as "Center" in Rycote zeppelin and windjammer on hand held pistol
grip. All fed into a SD302 and via line input into a SD702T.

After reading all the posts, I can see I probably broke a lot of rules
 - with respect to phasing. Especially since I was swinging the 816
around a bit !!

All I can say is that the hour I spent this morning is now one of the
most memorable hours of my life and I should say I haven't exactly led
a life devoid of great experiences.

I walked down a creek in a little valley to an area nearby a trickling
waterfall and sat down in the grass next to a dam.
I held both those mic rigs for a full 30 minutes of recording until my
hands were numb ! (next time I'll take the tripod)

As dawn progressed, small groups of black cockatoos flew overhead,
Rosellas, waterhens and many other species revealed themselves.
Bats were darting around everywhere in the half light (unfortunately
these were the non audible species), even some dragon flies mating
over the water surface ended up in my recording.

Not everything got recorded, just the pleasure of exploring this new
experience was enough - I cleanly heard a Koala climbing in a tree
100m away (the scrunching of loose bark gave it away with each
deliberate movement), but it took another 10-15 minutes before I
eventually located it - just so as to validate what I was sure I had
heard in the headphones.

I recorded the waterfall, the creek and later magpies warbling in the
distance.

I will have a listen to it all properly later when I get time, and see
if there is anything worth putting up. Not sure what you might like to
listen of analyse ?

Really it was just driving the gear with "L" plates and a bit of practice.

It certainly did seem to work OK - I got stereo ambiance and was also
able to be selective with the hand held MKH 816.

I look forward to repeating this experience and to trialling it with
some better combinations of mics in the future.

Cheers Rally