1. Re: at3032 LF "growl"

Subject: 1. Re: at3032 LF "growl"
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Fri Mar 7, 2008 7:14 am ((PST))
This thread has become most interesting, with a lot of different
perspectives from a lot of folks I respect here. May I toss in a bit of
how I look at it and ask for feedback from the brain trust?

One of my earliest and strongest impressions of nature recording was
that of being blown away by the extreme amount of low end my recording
gear was picking up and amplifying into the headphones. This sounded
absolutely unnatural to me compared to the way these environments
sounded to the "naked" ear. Some low frequency cutting seemed to help
restore the tonal balance I was hearing naturally, so I figured maybe
that's how I should record it.

The most compelling objection I can imagine to this practice is that it
might render these recordings rather useless for any future forensic or
scientific purposes.

Your thoughts?

Curt Olson